Why choose human hair?
The texture of human hair is much softer and you have the ability to style to your required look as all of our Gem human hair wigs and enhancers come completely un-styled giving you free reign to have it cut and styled to exactly how you want it.
What types of human hair are available?
Our Gem human hair wigs and enhancers are made from Remy hair; a mixture of Chinese and Indian hair. Other types of human hair can be offered on our bespoke custom made wigs and wigs for women. These options will be discussed with your stylist in your consultation.
What type of base is the Gem Collection on?
Our Gem human hair wigs are constructed on a completely hand tied foundation, with a soft lace front and a smooth monofilament top. Other types of bases can be offered on our bespoke custom made wigs and wigs for women. These options will be discussed with your stylist in your consultation.
How long does a human hair wig/enhancer last?
Usually up to 9 months but this depends on how often the wig/enhancer is being worn and how much heat styling is being done to it. We would recommend that you have two per year. If wearing everyday we advise you to have a second one to either alternate or to have a spare one in case of an emergency. Our Supplex human hair wigs may have a slightly shorter life span of up to 5 months due to the polyurethane base.
There are various factors that may contribute towards the lifespan being shorter than 9 months. Please see below some tips for looking after your human hair wigs/enhancers
- Use a good quality shampoo and conditioner which is sulphate and paraben free. We recommend using Pureology Hydrate Shampoo & Hydrate Conditioner - Also when conditioning the wig we recommend that the conditioner is only added to the middle length and ends of the hair not to the root area.
- Don’t sleep in your human hair wig. If it is slept in, the lifespan will be 50% less. This is due to the friction and rubbing of the hair when sleeping - If it is necessary to sleep in your wig, a silk pillow case is recommended.
- Wearing hats over your human hair wig can cause hair loss on the wig quicker. This is due to where the hat sits and rubs on the hair at the back and nape area.
- You can braid or tie your human hair wig up but this will add pressure onto the hair causing some hair loss or breakage. The use of crocodile clips to tie the hair up can also cause hair loss.
- Wearing glasses on top of your head or the use of a headset will result in constant rubbing where the glasses slide down the top and sides of the wig and can also cause some hair loss.
- Please be gentle when brushing your wig after washing it. When wet, you will experience more hair shedding than normal, this is because when the hair is wet the knots become loser and once the hair starts to dry the knots become more secure. - If you can leave the wig to air dry overnight you will find there is less stress on the hair than if you were to blow dry it from wet.
Can human hair be coloured?
Yes. However, we don't advise trying to lighten the hair, only darken it and always seek professional advice. All human hair will incur colour fade. This is due to an oxidization process that happens in the environment. This will occur within the first few months of wear. If you have a hair enhancer which contains grey content, the grey hair will not be able to be coloured as it is fibre hair, not human hair. The reason for this is because grey human hair goes yellow in the oxidization process.
Can I use heat appliances to style my human hair wig/enhancer?
Yes, Heat appliances such as hairdryers, curling tongs and straighteners can be used to achieve a desired look. However, we recommend that you use appliances such as straighteners with a temperature gauge as certain colours like 102/22 Pale Ash Blonde should not take heat exceeded over 180degrees. Our Aderans hair straighteners are perfect for our human hair wigs and enhancers. If you have a hair enhancer which contains grey content, the grey hair will not be able to have any heat applied as it is fibre hair.
Can a human hair wig or enhancer be permed?
Yes, but it will lighten the colour and may make the hair dry because of the chemical process. Always seek professional advice before.
Can I sleep in my human hair wig/enhancer?
We do not recommend that you do. However, we understand that this is not always possible. If you do, we suggest that you sleep on silk pillowcases but this will still cut the lifespan of the wig/enhancer because of the friction caused when you move around in your sleep. You will notice hair loss quickly and tangling of the hair.
How do I take care of my human hair wig/enhancer?
Use recommended shampoo and conditioner for colour treated hair, and follow the washing instructions supplied. We sell Pureology, which can be purchased from our website. Be careful when brushing or combing the hair when wet, as this is when the knots of the hair expand and will be looser. Always keep hair direction the same when washing and never rub the hair. Wash once every 7-10 days if wearing every day.